In a few short years, the health care sector of the CAW has become the largest single category in our membership. It is also one of our most dynamic sectors - making progress in new organizing, at the bargaining table, and through political action.
Our health care sector really took off beginning after the Taking Charge organizing campaign in 2000-01, when thousands of health care workers voted to leave their U.S. union and join the CAW. Since then, membership growth has been driven by new organizing and by hiring at existing facilities. Our health care members have incorporated many CAW traditions into their unionism, including pattern bargaining and the development of skilled trades committees.
There are now over 26,000 CAW members working in health care. This includes a strong concentration of workers in long term care facilities - some of which are publicly owned, but many of which are controlled by private firms. Thousands more CAW members work in hospitals and other public health care facilities.
To view the latest edition of the pulse click on the pulse logo below:
CAW Health Care: GENERAL
- Private Drug Plans in Danger
- CAW Statement on Nursing Week 2013
- Letter from Ken Lewenza to support the Canadian Health Coalition's Medicare Campaign - February 2012
- Dignity and Respect in Long Term Care Homes - December 2011
- PSW Registry Consultation - July 2011
- CAW Statement on National Nurses Week - May 9-13, 2011
- Affiliated Provincial and Territorial Health Coalitions
- Error in Shiftwork (Presentation by Dr. Pat Croskerry to the 2010 CAW Health Care Conference)
- New One Week PEL Course: Grievance Handling and Workplace Leadership for Health Care Workers
- New One Week PEL Course; Collective Bargaining for Health Care Workers
- CAW Statement on the SARS Outbreak
- CCPA Report: The True Cost of Public-Private Partnerships (P3s) (PDF)
CAW Health Care: NOVA SCOTIA
Visit the Nova Scotia Health Care Council Site click here
- Letter to Premier Dexter re Changes to Health Services August 2012
- Submission to the NS Government on Proposed Changes to Health Services August 2012
- CAW Nova Scotia Health Care Campaign - 2010 CAW LPN Poster
- CAW Nova Scotia Health Care Campaign - 2010 CAW LPN Leaflet
- CAW Nova Scotia Health Care Council Members
- List of Hospitals & Nursing Homes - March 2010
- Nova Scotia Highlights Hospital Sector, 2009
CAW Health Care: ONTARIO
Visit the Ontario Health Care Council Website click here.
Demand Care Standards for Ontario's Seniors -take action now!
- Nursing Home Highlights
- Hospital Highlights
- CAW Response on PSW Educational Standards - May 16, 2012
- HLDAA and Pension Changes - April 11, 2012
- CAW submission to Long-Term Care Task Force on Resident Care and Safety - March 2012
- CAW Submission to the Drummond Commission - December 2011
- CAW Presentation to the Standing Committee on Social Policy re Bill 21: Retirement Homes Act, 2010 - May 10, 2010
- CAW Ontario Health Care Council RPN Campaign - 2010 CAW RPN Brochure
- CAW Ontario Health Care Council RPN Campaign - 2010 CAW RPN Poster
- CAW Health Care Council Executive Members
- New Members Speak: CAW Does Make a Difference