Making the Shift: Transitioning from Work to Retirement
A Program for our 40+ Year Old Members
A significant number of our members are at the stage in their life where they can see retirement, but still have a number of working years yet to go.
In this program we will:
- look at issues faced by workers with seniority - from health and safety and ergonomic concerns, to pension issues;
- explore challenges of the "sandwich generation" such as caring for aging parents, children and grandchildren;
- make the links between personal concerns and political campaigns (i.e. CAW campaigns for stronger public pensions, pharmacare, universal childcare, improvements to medicare, and minimum patient-care-hours for retirement homes, nursing homes and in-home elder care);
- assist members in planning now for 'life after work' - from financial planning for retirement, to promoting strategies for healthy living;
- include hands-on activities for effective use of technology.
The course is aimed at involving CAW members now - and in retirement - in various union campaigns, community groups, CAW social justice projects and CAW retiree chapters. An over-arching objective includes our need to strengthen dialogue between our more senior workers and the union.