Taking on the Challenge - 2008 Convention Documents
"We meet in challenging and troubled times," said CAW President Buzz Hargrove in his opening address to the over 1,000 delegates attending the union's 2008 Collective Bargaining and Political Action Convention in Toronto on June 10.
Changing economic times suggest that it is not business-as-usual for unions in Canada and these circumstances suggest a need to do things differently. "Our union is being challenged like never before," said Hargrove. "We must find new ways to fight back, new ways to organize and new ways to harness our collective power to continue making gains for working Canadians."
Convention delegates debated a 204-page document titled Taking on the Challenge that outlines the context and goals of the union's collective bargaining and political action agenda for the next three years.
The next Collective Bargaining and Political Action Convention will be held in 2011.
Follow the links below to access the 2008 convention document entitled Taking on the Challenge, as well as other convention material.
- Chapter 1 - Economic Overview
- Chapter 2 - Political Overview
- Chapter 3 - Membership Profile
- Chapter 4 - Big 3 Bargaining
- Chapter 5 - Bargaining Philosophy
- Chapter 6 - Pensions
- Chapter 7 - Wages
- Chapter 8 - Benefits
- Chapter 9 - Labour Markets, Economic Restructuring & Income Security
- Chapter 10 - Equality
- Chapter 11 - Quebec
- Chapter 12 - Health and Safety
- Chapter 13 - Environment
- Chapter 14 - Working Time
- Chapter 15 - Education & Training
- Chapter 16 - Skilled Trades
- Chapter 17 - Organizing
- Chapter 18 - Community & International Solidarity
- Chapter 19 - Young Workers