CAW and CEP to Launch Name and Logo for New Union - May 30
May 27, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
CAW and CEP will unveil the name and logo of the new union at a special press event in Toronto on Thursday, May 30.
CAW-CEP Launch New Union Name and Logo
*Please note room change
When: Thursday, May 30, 2013
*Where: Sheraton Centre Hotel, Dominion Ballroom (second floor)
123 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario
Time: 11:00 a.m. EST
The CAW and CEP are joining together to form a new union that will represent more than 300,000 workers across the country in over 20 different economic sectors. The launch of the new union's name and logo comes one year and a half after discussions and consultations on the New Union Project began. The new name and logo will be voted on by the National Executive Boards of both CAW and CEP, during meetings taking place May 28-29.
Speakers will include:
- Peter Kennedy, CAW National Secretary-Treasurer and New Union Proposal Committee Co-Chair
- Gaétan Ménard, CEP National Secretary-Treasurer and New Union Proposal Committee Co-Chair
- Ken Lewenza, CAW National President
- Dave Coles, CEP National President,
- Trish Hennessy, Principal, Hennessy Strategic Communications and Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives Ontario Director
This announcement is the latest milestone event leading towards the new union's founding convention taking place Labour Day weekend in Toronto from August 30 to September 1.
Over 150 CAW and CEP local union leaders will be on hand for the name and logo launch, along with allied community representatives and other invited guests. Media are welcome to attend the event.
Members of the media who are unable to attend, but wish to participate can call (toll free) 1-888-886-7786 for English and (toll free) 1-888-396-8049 for French.