A More Thoughtful Federal Budget
March 17, 2011, 9:10 AM EST
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is calling for the federal government to restore a fair tax system, along with other recommendations included in its annual Alternative Federal Budget.
According to the CCPA, the Harper government has presided over a massive shift of Canada's tax system, with tax cuts from 2006- to the announced tax cuts for 2013-14 amounting to an incredible $200 billion from public coffers.
The AFB proposes a number of changes that would restore fairness to the country's tax system and allow an expansion of public services -which would in turn create jobs and keep more Canadians working.
The AFB makes a number of key recommendations, including 10 solutions for the post recession recovery.
Here is a brief version of the CCPA's proposed solutions:
1. Reduce poverty by 25% within the next five years
2. Restore a fair tax system
3. Make the Employment Insurance system work for those who lose their jobs
4. Repair our cities and create jobs with a national public infrastructure build program
5. Implement a publicly insured pharmacare plan for all Canadians
6. Protect and improve public pensions
7. Support families by creating universal publicly funded child care
8. Invest in First Nations
9. Make Canada an international environmental leader
10. When it comes to deficit reduction, don't press the panic button
To read the full Alternative Federal Budget 2011 - A Post Recession Recovery Plan, please visit: http://www.policyalternatives.ca/afb2011
To download the 10 Solutions for the Federal Budget, please visit: http://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/National%20Office/2011/03/AFB2011_Ten_Solutions.pdf